Hormonal Causes Of Obesity
November 4, 2015
Obesity problems are rising at an alarming rate in modern days. Most people are trying their level best to control weight gain in various ways like dieting, exercises and other prescribed methods.
But the fact is that the causes of obesity must be ascertained before treatment because the increase in weight is due to many causes and not simply to excess eating or laziness.
What are the main causes that lead to obesity?
According to doctors and health specialists obesity is caused when there is lack of balance in the intake of calories and the required amount and also when it is not burned out to generate energy.
The other causes that lead to obesity have been found to be related to:
- Genetics: Some are fat and overweight because their parents are obese.
- Overeating is another cause of weight gain especially the intake of fast foods and simple carbohydrates that are rich in saturated fats.
- Slow metabolism rate also causes obesity in many individuals.
- Lack of physical activities cause weight gain especially in those persons who are into desk work. Regular exercises is a must for such people.
- Certain medications are also responsible for obesity namely the anti-depressant pills, etc.
Another important internal problem that causes obesity is hormonal causes. In most cases, we assume that excess of sugar intake or lack of exercises or may be psychological factors are the root causes of excess weight and overlook the hormonal aspects of the body.
Hormonal causes of obesity
There are certain hormones in the body that cause obesity. They are namely:
- Leptin, sex hormones and growth hormones are responsible for metabolism, appetite and distribution of fat in the body according to requirements. When the levels of these hormones are disturbed, metabolism rate is slow and proper functioning of the body is hampered leading to accumulation of fat.
- Insulin is important for distribution of carbohydrates and metabolism of fat. When this important hormone signals are lost and the tissues cannot control the glucose levels, fat accumulates especially around the mid-section of the body and the person suffers from Diabetes.
- Sex hormones are responsible for distributing body fat in humans. Post menopausal women often gain weight due to the disturbance of these hormones like oestrogens and androgens.
- Growth hormones also cause obesity in those people who have a lower rate than others of normal weight.
Hence it is important to determine the causes of obesity and then take necessary measures to burn excess weight and prevent weight gain.